Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Road Trip!!

Whew.......worn out, I tell ya! Have been waiting for weather for us to move, so we let Anthony, cap'n's new best friend and taxi driver, drive us all over the island today. First, tho, we had to have the veterinarian make a house call, make that a boat call, to check out sophie and to file the proper papers for having her here and for getting her back to the states. Another cutie pie, I may add! The vet, of course!
Then we're off! First stop was Fantasy Island. A resort area that if we anchor close to their marina, we can use their beach! And what a wowzer it is. Beautiful. Then on to Parrot Tree to check out their facilities. This was all business, in the name of research, dontcha know?
Next, into Punta Gorda....a quaint lil village that is all locals, where we had lunch. mmmmmmm...lobster. I'll post a pic of the remains--was too hungry to remember to take the pic before I dug into the yumminess of that grilled lobster dripping in garlic butter. So much for the 'eating light'! HEY......when in rome......
Also watched fishermen come into shore with their catch of the day.
Next, we go to West End. Here we found some beach chairs and I began that awesome chore of catching some rays. I know, I know....but somebody's gotta do it! Oh, and the Rolling Stones will be there tomorrow~~according to the Fish & Chips guy, he's got video of never before seen Stones music that he is going to show on the side of his rolling food cart. Goes by the name of Chippy! (insert eye roll here cuz he was definitely on something and it wasn't fish or chips!!)
Back to the taxi where we headed to Coxen Hole to find a mercado...that's market to you uninformed Americans! Like me who had no idea where we were headed.
I wanted some fresh fruit for the boat and the cap'n needed milk for his breakfast. Man, talk about a trip! Cannot even put into words what this town and market, Roatan's capital city, was like. Think I'll just take pics next time we go and let the images tell the story.
By now, it's after 5 and we are tired so we drive back to the boat and enjoy a wonderful meal of
Roatan Coconut Curry shrimp and rice.
You know you've had a good time when you look at the clock at 8 pm and wonder if it's ok to go to bed now!! And yes...yes it is!!
And tomorrow's weather is looking good so it looks like we'll be sailing away................



Lunch!!


1 comment: