Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Tomatoes, anyone??

Today it's all about the FOOD!! and where we get it....
Last Saturday, we were in LaCeiba walking thru the mercada, the market place. I am always amazed....the smells, the sound of people talking and laughing.....but mostly? The colors! I just have a feeling that if the same scenario was set up and played out in the states.....a farmer's market of sorts....there is no way that the colors would come close to what a Central American market looks like! Everything is so vibrant, so alive!
Deciding what we would eat for lunch this day was kinda like walking thru the state fair, trying to decide if you want a corn dog or an elephant's ear. Heh! We finally decided on a plate lunch. From the ladies around the corner from the bus stop and across the street from the tamale man. Yes, before you even wonder......we did buy more tamales. One can never have enough tamales stashed away!! I digress. So........the whole family was there. Sitting on rocks. Watching the people, mostly us cuz we do look a bit out of place.....hmmmmmmm, can you imagine that? This day, the family is cooking smoked chicken, rice, salad and the ever famous tortillas. Pics will show the set up and the cap'n getting right into the middle of the action! He acknowledged to the woman, "Pollo?" and the lil boy in striped shirt looks up at him and says, "Chicken!!"!! Haha!We then took our plates to a bench in the town square and chowed down. Y-U-M-M-Y!!
We crossed back to Roatan on Sunday and since it took about 5 hrs, we just decided we'd done enough work for one day! So, we layed around putting off our chores.....which would be cleaning the boat and provisioning for our next guests.
Side note: marina managers had warned us that they had seen someone with a purple visor that had LSU on it. We had a mission. At dinner on Monday night, they sat right next to us and in the course of conversation, the guy mentioned that they'd been so busy getting married the previous Saturday.....I promptly told them that they should tell everyone they were honeymooners. He said....."Um, you pretty much just did!" haha. So, we're thinking how funny it is that someone from good ol' Loosiana is here with us....Tiger fans at that.....when today, we find another newlywed couple from Loosiana who are also Tiger lovers!!! What are the odds? 3 LSU couples all at the marina swarming together. I truly think that LSU fans could prolly take over the world if we wanted to!!
Last pic is a taco from a jucos stand right across from the grocery store today.
If the sunny tropics don't lull one away to heaven, the food sure will!!






2 comments:

  1. I am HUNGRY! That looks so damn good.

    I'm glad you put another post up. I was getting impatient. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to updates with those crazy girls visiting! Lots of pictures, please! Embarrassing pictures! heh.

    ReplyDelete